Mosquito Control Activity Schedule
Place your cursor over the "Mosquito Control Activity Schedule" heading and a drop down menu will appear. Please select the current month to view the schedule.
The most recent control activity schedules are posted to the website weekly on Friday afternoons.
In addition to weekly sprayings, Vector Control consistently identifies bodies of water where mosquito larvae are present and applies insecticide to immediately kill mosquitoes before they hatch. This service is provided throughout ALL ZIP codes in Shelby county from April until October each year.
Residents are also encouraged to be vigilant as it relates to controlling mosquito populations around their homes and businesses:
- Wear DEET-containing mosquito repellants according to label instructions
- Elminate standing water where mosquitoes can lay eggs. Check properties for objects - including old tires, flower pots and drip plates, tin cans, buckets, and children's toys - that collect rainwater and either drain or dispose of the water
- Install or repair windows and door screens
- Empty, clean, and refill birdbaths and small wading pools weekly
- Empty and refill pets' water bowls every few days
- Repair failed septic systems
- Repair leaky outside faucets
- Clean rain gutters and down spouts
- Secure swimming pool covers tightly and remove any standing water after rainfall
- Store wheelbarrows, canoes, and boats upside down
- Stock ornamental lawn ponds with fish (Gambusia) that eat mosquito larvae (Gambusia fish are available FREE from Vector Control - CALL FOR AVAILABILITY)
If you would like to request an inspection of your property, or the property you believe to be a problem, please call (901) 222-9715.